Monday, January 17, 2011

Growing up

When my older folks I work with learn that I have young kids, I inevitably hear, "Enjoy them now, they grow up so fast."  I also get the occasional "These are the best years of your life."   I think the latter can really only be seen with golden glow of age and memory as one looks back on a lifetime of experience.  But truly the boys are growing before my eyes.   It's obvious when they put on a pair of pants that I swear fit them last week, and now they look like capri pants. My youngest has gone from a baby to a little boy apparently over night.  He was a tough baby.  He cried a lot, had infant reflux, and didn't sleep through the night until almost a year, but that same golden glow of memory, makes all that a blur. 
I try to cherish those moments in the middle of the night when JJ wakes up and won't go back to sleep without rocking.  Or those times when K says he's afraid of the dark and wants to rock in the rocking chair with Mommy.  I know these moments will come to an end and I will miss them.  I will miss those sweet little boys who want Mommy to hold them and give them hugs.  I am realistic enough to know there will be a day when they will be embarrassed to be seen with me.  That hugging Mom, if done at all, will only be done when other people can't see them.  It might ruin their coolness factor.  So for now, I will try my hardest to appreciate those quiet moments.  Because there will be a time when I will be the older lady remembering a lifetime of experience through the golden glow of age and memory and will be thinking about the best years of my life.

No comments: